Doshisha University Office of International Students

  • S
  • M
  • L
  1. Home
  2. Visa and Status of Residence
  3. Visa and Certificate of Eligibility (COE)

1.Visa / Certificate of Eligibility (COE) / Status of residence / Residence card

(1) What is Visa?

In principle, foreign nationals intending to enter Japan must have, in addition to a valid passport, a valid visa issued by a Japanese Embassy or Consulate to the passport.
A visa confirms the legality and validity of the passport held by the concerned foreigner, as well as signifies that the concerned foreigner’s entry to and stay in Japan is recommended as being appropriate in accordance with the conditions appearing on the visa.
Issuance of visas in Japan falls under the scope of authority of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

(2)What is Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

A Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is issued after the Minister of Justice examines whether or not the activities that a foreign national wishing to enter Japan intends to carry out within the country meet the conditions of landing and acknowledges that said activities met said conditions.
If a COE is presented to a Japanese Embassy or Consulate at the time of visa application, the case can be handled on the basis that the prior examination has already been completed, and the visa will be issued relatively quickly.
Additionally, if you present a COE at the port of entry, you will be treated by the immigration inspector as having met the landing conditions, so the landing inspection will also be simple and can be performed quickly.
A COE is valid for 3 months from the date of issuance. It will become invalid if the holder fails to enter Japan within this valid period.

(3)About Status of Residence

Status of residence is a status that allows a foreigner to engage in certain activities during your stay in Japan.
Foreign students are permitted to engage in activities within the scope of the "Student" status granted to them.
The "Student" status for foreign students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, or research programs at universities is valid until graduation from the university. After graduation, you must either change your status of residence to an appropriate one, or leave Japan. Even if the period of stay on your residence card is still valid, if you do not have the appropriate status of residence, you may be deemed to be illegally staying in Japan and lose your status of residence.

(4)Submission of Residence Card to the University and the Reason of Submission

You have been granted the status of residence "Student" by the Immigration and Residence Management Agency in order to study and conduct research at Doshisha University.
As the host university, Doshisha University is obligated to report your whereabouts to the Immigration Bureau. Therefore, if you do not submit your residence card, there is a possibility that your status of residence will be affected and you may not be able to continue your studies. In order to avoid such a situation, please be sure to submit your resident card when you change the information on it.

When do you need to submit your residence card?
You need to submit a photocopy of your residence card to OIS under the situations below.
◆After entering school, you renewed your resident card and obtained a new one.
◆Obtained permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence
◆Changed your address.
◆Changed your status of residence from "Student" and obtained a new card.

How to submit your residence card to OIS
Please take photos of both sides of your residence card and submit them via web form below.
Web form
You need to have a Doshisha email address, ID, and password to access this web form.

◆If you cannot access the web form, please send the photocopy of both sides of your residence card to OIS via email.
<Imadegawa Campus>
Place : Fusokan 2F
E-mail :
<Kyotanabe Campus>
Place : Shigyokan 1F
E-mail :

Important: Please carry your resident card with you at all times.
Failure to carry your resident card may result in a fine, and failure to present it may result in imprisonment or a fine.