Doshisha University Office of International Students

  • S
  • M
  • L
  1. Home
  2. Housing
  3. How to find accommodation

1.How to find accommodation

Deciding where to live is one of the most important elements of student life in a foreign country. Doshisha University provides a limited number of dormitory accommodations for privately financed international students. When you sign a rental contract to live in a private housing in Japan, you need to have someone act as your “joint guarantor” in most cases. Those who cannot find a joint guarantor may use the service provided by a private guarantor company.
Doshisha University has partnership with the following private guarantor company and real estate agents. We recommend these companies so that international students have a smooth process of signing a rental contract. For fire insurance, we recommend you Doshisha Enterprise Inc. (100% invested by The Doshisha), which offers a reasonably priced insurance coverage in accordance with the actual situation of international students and a quick response in case of an accident.

Companies recommended

【Private guarantor company affiliated with Doshisha University】

Global Trust Networks Co., Ltd(GTN)
GTN’s official website (external website)
Brochure of GTN’s guarantor services[PDF 1.3MB]

【Real estate agents affiliated with Doshisha Enterprise Inc.】

  • Doshisha Coop
    • Imadegawa Campus Ryoshinkan B1 TEL 0120-040-552, 075-251-4438
    • Kyotanabe Campus Nichiryokan 1F TEL 0120-390-154, 0774-65-8377
    • Website (external website)
  • J.S.B Network (Unilife)
    • Imadegawa Doshisha-mae TEL 0120-952-066 ,075-417-1170
    • Kyotanabe Doshisha-mae TEL 0120-865-434 ,0774-63-6300
    • Website (external website)
  • National Student Information Center (Nasic)
  • VAN NET System
  • Kyoto Life
  • Kyoritsu Maintenance (Gakusei Kaikan) ...Joint guarantor not required

【Fire Insurance】

【Notes for students searching for accommodation】

  • Doshisha University consists of two campuses: Imadegawa Campus and Kyotanabe Campus. Check which campus you mainly commute to before choosing your accommodation.
  • Housing costs are particularly significant expenditure and vary considerably depending on the location, facilities, room space and when the building was built. When choosing your accommodation, think carefully about the total housing costs.
  • Housing costs comprise both ongoing monthly expenses and fees due when you first sign a contract.

Ongoing monthly fees

  • Rent (‘yachin’ ‘heyadai’) … As a rule, rent for the following month is due in advance at the end of each month.
  • Common services charge (‘kyoekihi’)… Paid together with the rent to cover electricity, cleaning and other costs for the communal areas of your accommodation.
  • Utilities… Water bill, electric bill, gas, internet connection fees, etc.

Fees due upon signing the contract

  • Reservation fee (‘tetsukekin’)… An advance payment of part of the security bond, to reserve the desired property. This payment will not be refunded if you cancel the contract.
  • Key money (‘reikin’)… A gratuity paid to the landlord when the contract is signed. This payment will not be refunded at the time of moving out.
  • Bond (‘shikikin’)… A security deposit held by the landlord. An amount equal to the security deposit (bond) minus any expenses for repairing and cleaning the accommodation will be refunded to you at the time of moving out.
  • Agency fee (‘chulai tesuryo’)…A fee for processing the contract, to be paid to the real estate agent.


  • Contract periods are from one to two years in many cases. In order to continue to live in the same accommodation beyond the end of the contract term, you will need to renew the contract and pay the renewal fee. Rent may also increase at the time of renewal.
  • You will need to purchase your own furniture (desk, bed etc.) in most cases.
  • No person other than the contracting party is allowed to live in the accommodation.

Keishiryo Dormitory

For an overview of Keishi-Ryo, please visit "Doshisha VISION2025: Special Site for Keishi-Ryo".


Duration of Lease

Undergraduate students: Two years
Exchange students and government-sponsored Center for Japanese Language and Culture students: One year

Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for International Students Studying at Doshisha University

The Comprehensive Renter’s Insurance for International Students Studying at Doshisha University, which had started in March 2011, was terminated as of January 31 (Thu), 2019, and is no longer accepting applications. International students who have difficulty finding a joint guarantor for signing a housing rental contract are recommended to use the service provided by a private guarantor company. Please see 1. How to find accommodation for details.